Water is the basis of life. Our cells need it to perform EVERY body function. This simple concoction is a super easy way to infuse your body with what it needs!! I have incorporated this all natural body booster into my morning rituals for over the past 5 years. I felt the body changing benefits of hot water with lemon within a mere week or two.
Okay so when we sleep our bodies have been “fasting.” We all know that breakfast is to fuel your body after its long rest. Well what about the dehydration factor that our bodies endure while sleeping?? I mean if you’ve slept 8 hours that means you haven’t had any water in all that time…and those little sips of water during the night don’t count. Most often, we wake up, prep and dress for the day, and then make coffee. Then eat…sometimes…. And then boom – our day has started. Did anyone hear, drink a liter of water in there? Well who the hell wakes up and drinks a liter of water?? That was my thinking before my first Food Matters detox all those years ago. The idea is to get a jump on the day upon waking and yes, this means before you shower!!
Here are five reasons you should consider drinking hot water with lemon:
- Helps rehydrate your body: When your body is dehydrated, your body will store more fat making your liver work harder to aid your kidneys. If your liver is preoccupied helping your kidneys then your liver is flushing out less fat from your body.
- Kick starts your metabolism: Lemon helps boost your body to burn fat. Yep, before coffee or a shower your body could begin burning calories by stimulating your digestive system, prepping it for the day.
- Removes toxins: Once ingested, the lemon water flushes toxins from your kidneys, liver, and digestive tract.
- Boosts your immune system: Lemon is high in Vitamin C which is known to aid your immune system, stimulates white blood vessels, speeds up the process of healing wounds, fights infections and viruses, and so much more!
- Satiates hunger: When your body is dehydrated you will feel more hunger. Often times when think you’re hungry you are actually dehydrated. By starting your day with lemon water you are naturally appeasing that lil beast growling in your tummy!!
Here’s how to make it:
In a large glass or mug juice one whole lemon. Fill the rest of the glass with warm water.
- 1 thumbnail size of fresh ginger crushed which is delicious & highly soothing for your tummy
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon of chia seeds which are great for digestive health and will cleanse your bowels. Not to mention, chia seeds are loaded with fiber, protein, calcium, antioxidants, and many more important vitamins.