With the holiday season upon us I really want to share recipes that are quick, affordable, not too complicated AND above all D-LICIOUS!! Donuts are brilliant for taking along to share or just a special treat for you & your family.
This baked cinnamon donut recipe is by one of my favorite bakers, Barefoot Contessa. For many years I have relied and trusted her knowledge and ability above all others. Whenever I’m hoping to get a handle on a new idea or concept I ALWAYS turn to her recipes to start me off! Trust me when I say this recipe does not disappoint. What I love most about making these donuts is all the ingredients can be found in my kitchen year round. I can whip up a batch of donuts as easily as pancakes!!
After a bit of trial and ahem, errors, I added a couple my own tips that pretty much makes this beginner recipe foolproof! Okay so let’s BAKE!
BAKED CINNAMON DONUT INGREDIENTS:
- COOKING SPRAY
- 2 C FLOUR
- 1 ½ C SUGAR
- 2 tsp BAKING POWDER
- 1 tsp CINNAMON
- ½ tsp NUTMEG
- ½ tsp SALT
- 1 EGG, LIGHTLY BEATEN
- 1 ¼ C WHOLE MILK
- 2 TBSP UNSALTED MELTED BUTTER
- 2 tsp VANILLA
- 8 Tbsp (1 stick) UNSALTED BUTTER
- ½ C SUGAR
- ½ tsp CINNAMON
- LARGE BOWL
- 2 SMALL BOWLS
- 2 DONUT PANS
- SMALL SAUTE PAN
- Preheat oven 350℉. Spray 2 donut pans with non-stick spray. I use Wilton tins found on Amazon.
- In a large bowl combine/sift flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg, milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients just until combined ( I found using a whisk did the trick). **TIP let batter stand about 10 mins before adding to pans. The delay made the dounts a lot fluffier.
- Spoon batter into sprayed baking pans. Fill a little more than halfway, over filling might result in a “muffin top” effect on the sides (I did this on a couple. With my neurotic tendencies I made a mental note to be careful in the future.)
- Bake 15-17 mins. Donuts are ready when toothpick comes out clean.
**TIP Careful not to over bake! Too much time in the oven even 1 minute will make the donuts tough.
Cool for 5 mins. Remove from pan onto a cooling rack or baking sheet. I put a bit of wax paper under the rack to make cleanup a snap.
TO MAKE TOPPING:
Melt 8 tablespoons unsalted butter into small sauté pan. In a small bowl combine sugar and cinnamon. Dip each donut first in butter and then in the cinnamon sugar. You can do one or both sides. I did both sides and while I thought it was too sweet for me, everyone else loved it.
**TIP Be sure to use unsalted butter. I used salted butter my 1st time making them ummm because it’s all I had but the salt does come through. But hey, in my house the salty/sweet combo went down with rave reviews.
Be sure to bake these yummy donuts for someone you love…and remember, it’s okay to love yourself!