Finding the right decorative pillows can be likened to accessorizing a little black dress with the perfect shoes and jewelry. Whether you’re dressing up a space or trying to achieve a casual, comfy feel, pillows can help you achieve the exact look you’re going for.
For my new cafe space, I wanted soft, comfy, and inviting pillows that welcome naps and long afternoon teas. I sought out pillows that are not only beautiful but also functional and durable.
Decorative Pillows: Color Palette and Textures
To ensure that my small space would remain bright and open, I selected decorative pillows in grey, off-white, beige, and camel with black accents. Not only does this neutral color palette pair nicely with the heather grey Mid-Century 3-Piece Banquette I purchased from West Elm, but it also compliments my adjacent dining room quite nicely. Neutrals are very soothing and warm, so they offer a nice contrast to the modernness of my space. To create an inviting feel, I went with soft and fuzzy pillows. I also chose pillows that are woven and nubby yet soft to the touch (because let’s be real, no one wants a hard, itchy pillow). The smooth cashmere pillows I found at Restoration Hardware add a luxurious look and feel.
Decorative Pillows: Size and shape
I wanted the minimal banquette to be dressed with pillows and a throw that added a balance of texture, color,and size. I shopped around for 2 or 3 square over-sized pillows and 2 or 3 rectangular ones.
Tips for Shopping Decorative Pillows
- Check if the cost of the pillow insert is included with the pillow cover. My Restoration Hardware cashmere pillow covers (which I spent too much on by the way) were sold separately from the pillow insert. To offset the cost, I shopped my pillow inserts at Home Goods.
- Mix and Match. Choose pillows in different sizes and colors to bring a beautiful balance and add more visual interest to your space.
- Play with Texture. From soft, luxurious cashmere to playful faux fur, texture can really help you achieve your desired aesthetic.
- Read the care instructions. “Spot treat only” isn’t for everyone. If you have younger children or pets in your home, machine washable pillow covers might be the way to go.
- Shop in person if possible. This way you can feel and hold each pillow and see the true color. I find it very irritating to buy online only to return it because it didn’t work. But that’s me.
I’m really excited with all of my updates to my cafe nook. What do you think so far? Stay tuned for more fun updates, including my new lighting. I have to confess…I’m so in love darlings!