I hope you darlings are as excited about this post as we are!!! I was trying to think of the best way to share my curly hair routine…so I have finally decided to:
Video it, Blog it, and IG it! Without further ado here we go…
FAQs About My Curly White Hair
Bear with me for a sec while I give you a little “Tennille hair” background. The easiest way to do this is to answer my most asked questions:
Q: Is your hair naturally curly?
A: Yes. I mean who would do this to their hair on purpose??
Q: Have you ever straightened your hair?
A: No, well 3 times in the last 40 years and each time the “straight” hair lasted all of an hour or two.
Q: Is that your natural hair color?
A: Yes. My grandmother on my Dad’s side had a cotton top by time she was like 45…clearly I’m well on my way.
Q: At what age did your hair start turning white?
A: 23 years old
Q: Have you ever dyed your hair?
A: I did try a couple of times in the beginning. Let’s be real, I was self conscious and majorly embarrassed. What 23 years old wants white hair. Then I realized the dying was:
- Damaging my curls
- Doing a crap job of covering the white! Looked more like dirty whitish-brown strands.
Q: Do you protect your curls while sleeping?
A: Nope. Just lift my hair above my head and sleep.
Embracing my white hair was THE most liberating and empowering choice I had made.
My Current Curly Hair Styling Products:
DevaCurl Buildup Buster
I use DevaCurl Buildup Buster as a pre-cleanser before I wash my hair. If you find that you have gunk on your scalp even after thoroughly washing your hair, then this product was made for you. I find that this clarifying micellar water serum solved that for me.
DevaCurl No-Poo Shampoo
I love this shampoo! DevaCurl No-Poo Original shampoo cleanses without stripping my hair.
DevaCurl Heaven In Hair Deep Conditioning Treatment
My curls love DevaCurl Heaven In Hair Intense Moisture Treatment. This mask leaves my curls hydrated and defined.
DevaCurl Melt Into Moisture Deep Conditioning Treatment
DevaCurl Melt Into Moisture is such a thick, luscious product. I find that this product works best on my hair when it needs pick me up. The only thing I don’t like about this product is my hair gets frizzier faster when I use it.
DevaCurl One Condition Decadence
One Condition Decadence is great for my frizz-prone curls. It provides lasting moisture from day 1 until my next wash day.
DevaCurl B’Leave-In Miracle Curl Plumper
DevaCurl’s B’Leave-In Miracle Curl Plumper is a great product that provides definition with maximum hold without the crunch.
DevaCurl Styling Cream
Love this product to help tame my frizz on humid days. Works especially well in conjunction with B’Leave-In gel.
By now you all know DevaCurl is my holy grail curly hair product brand. My hair stylist, Shai Amiel of Capella Salon aka The Curl Doctor not only introduced my hair to the brand but also taught me EVERYTHING about caring for my silver curls about 4 years ago. I quickly learned that most of my life I was NOT taking care of my hair properly. From haircuts to washing to drying and everything in between. His technique of cutting dry hair curl by curl blew my mind!! He taught me how to wash using No-poo a non-sudsing shampoo, along with each and every step I will detail in this series.
My Curly Hair Routine
- Wash hair 1-2 times per week, depending on how yucky my scalp gets.
- Rinse hair until soaking wet. Apply DevaCurl Buildup Buster to scalp. Massage scalp thoroughly. Rinse.
- Wash using DevaCurl No-Poo shampoo. Concentrate the shampooing on the scalp. Agitate and massage your scalp like you would while washing your hands. It’s not only the shampoo that cleans but the friction as well. SIDE NOTE: wash hair using water hot enough to be comfortable but not scalding.
- I do not overly massage the strands of my hair (the shampoo running through it is sufficient to clean it). Rinse.
- Gently squeeze water out. I do not generally get tangles and knots in my hair, so I do not need to detangle.
- Pat ends dry with paper towel, but not too much.
- Loosely tie wet hair back into a bun with hair tie.
My fellow curly girls if you want to get more hydrated definition from your hair it’s time to add deep conditioning treatments to your curly hair routine!! I suggest once a week. Over time you will be shocked how you can coerce your curls into lovely defined tresses! Right now I float between DevaCurl’s Heaven In Hair and Melt Into Moisture.
- Section hair.
- Apply deep conditioner, like DevaCurl Heaven In Hair to washed hair while still almost dripping wet from scalp to tip.
- Repeat until finished.
- Loosely tie back hair into a bun.
- Cover head with conditioning cap.
- Leave in hair for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse, gently pat dry with paper towel while leaving as much water in hair as possible.
LEAVE-IN CONDITIONER AND STYLING GEL
I like to immediately apply my DevaCurl One Condition Decadence right after I rinse out the deep conditioner treatment.
- Section hair
- Apply product to each section from scalp to tip, focusing on the tips.
- Repeat this process with gel. I use B’Leave-In.
- On occasion I like to apply Heaven In Hair and Styling Cream to the ends of my hair to coax more defining curls out of my hair…this final step has been massively helpful in creating ringlets.
- Add a few clips to lift the roots. (shown in video)
- Clip paper towel to my head using hair clips
- Place bonnet on my head for approximately 15 mins until scalp is dry.
- Remove bonnet, paper towel, and clips
- Begin diffusing hair on a low fan warm air.
- I like to scrunch up with the diffuser letting it do all the work. I flip my head upside down and side to side while diffusing to allow the air to reach my whole head.
- Dry for about 10 mins.
- Gently pick and lift hair away from scalp to loosen it up a bit.
- Diffuse again using low fan warm air flipping head upside down and side to side. This process takes usually 20-30 mins or more, depending on the humidity in the air.
- I like to give my head a big hair flip upside down and side to side. I then take my pick and gently lift hair away from scalp.
- My hair at this point will still have a few damp areas, especially the front. I diffuse a bit more with a low fan but COOL air until it is completely dry.
Hope you’ve enjoyed watching my curly hair routine. Would love to know what you thought about my first vlog. Should I do more video hair tutorials? If so, let me know what you want to see in the comments below.