I’m a copycat. Yup, that’s me! A few months back I had the most delicious yet simple arugula and date salad while staying at the Ritz Carlton in Palm Springs and I absolutely had to duplicate it. I couldn’t help it. I believe in knowing how to make the foods I love and this salad was an immediate LOVE!! It has the perfect combo of flavors: peppery-bitterness from the arugula, tartness from the lemon, and sweetness from the dates. And to tie it all together, the almonds and feta bring the perfect crunchy and creamy textures. Now full disclosure, I swapped out the dressing with lemon for a healthier yummy twist. Trust me, you need this salad recipe in your life!
- 4 Large Handfuls of Washed & Fully Dried Arugula
- 1/2 Fresh Lemon cut into 1/4 wedges
- 1-2 tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1-2 Whole Dried Dates, sliced (careful of the pit inside)
- Almond Shavings
- In a large bowl add washed arugula and drizzle with olive oil.
- Squeeze 1 of the lemon wedges over the arugula, removing any seeds.
- Sprinkle sliced dates, feta & almonds to your liking on top.
- Gently toss salad.
Give it a taste. If you like your salads super tart like me, squeeze the remaining lemon wedge.
Zesty Arugula and Date Salad Nutritional benefits:
- Arugula is known for it’s bitter, peppery taste. It’s also high in sulfur making it a natural skin purifier. I also recently learned it contains a group of compounds called “glucosinolates” known for their cancer fighting agents that naturally stimulate detoxifying enzymes in the body!!
- Dates are low glycemic and high in fiber, potassium, and magnesium making them fantastic in maintaining digestive health.
- Lemon is a great alternative to store bought dressings which often contain tons of sugar and unnecessary fat & calories. Not mention its citrus flavor compliments arugula beautifully.
- Almonds are a great way to sneak in a bit of crunch while snagging some vitamin E, magnesium, copper, and protein.
Now you can be a copycat too. After all, “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery” right?