Sponsored by: Sephora
Believe or not, my obsession for skincare didn’t start until just over 10 years ago. In my 20’s I was too busy being mom to even think about skincare. At most, I would wash my face with my daughter’s baby cleanser and call it a good day LOL. It wasn’t until my 30’s that I really started to pay attention to skincare and overall self-care. Now as I approach 42 years of age (this month!) I am proudly a full fledged skincare junky. And if I do say so myself, my timing couldn’t be better.
I say this because as we reach 40 years of age our bodies are naturally producing less of what our skin needs like hyaluronic acid, collagen, and elastin. That natural progression combined with environmental factors like sun damage and pollution can result in the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, dullness, dark spots, and uneven skin tone. That’s where self care comes in for me.
Skincare in My 40’s
There are 4 key areas I focus on to care for and love my skin:
1) From the Inside Out: You know me darlings, I can’t talk about skincare without talking about healthy lifestyle choices. At the end of the day, if you want to glow on the outside, you need to glow on the inside. For me that means drinking up to a gallon of water per day and eating a plant based diet packed with nutrient dense foods while avoiding refined sugar and alcohol. Some examples of skin healthy foods include avocado, nuts/seeds like almonds, walnuts, and pumpkin seeds, dark leafy greens, broccoli, carrots, lemon, olive oil, and berries.
2) Cleansing: I have oily, blemish prone skin so double cleansing is a MUST for me. I start with an oil cleanser to remove makeup, sunscreen and excess sebum. For my second cleanser I specifically need a product that helps to minimize the look of pores like the Caudalie Vinopure Pore Purifying Gel Cleanser. This gentle yet effective cleanser is made with 98% natural ingredients including:
- Natural Salicylic Acid to reduce oil inside pores,
- Grape Seed Polyphenols, antioxidants that reduce the appearance of blemishes, and
- Grape water to soothe.
When applying, I gently massage the cleanser into my face.
3) Hydration and Essential Ingredients: As we age, our skin can become dull or struggle with dark spots. That’s why I’ve been loving the Caudalie Vinoperfect Brightening Moisturizer with Niacinamide. The key ingredient, Niacinamade is a Vitamin B3 that acts as an antioxidant to reduce the appearance of redness and brighten skin.
In addition to Niacinamide, this oil free moisturizer also contains:
- Viniferene which reduces the appearance of dark spots caused from sun damage or blemishes and is proven to be 62 times more effective than Vitamin C. Like wow!!
- Hyaluronic Acid (HA) is naturally found in our skin’s tissue. It helps boost collagen production and increases skin cell renewal. HA works to bind and hold water in our skin to keep it hydrated resulting in smoother, plumper looking skin.
This moisturizer has a lightweight gel to cream consistency with a lovely clean fragrance. I take my time massaging it into my face, neck and chest – so relaxing. It instantly gives my skin a hydrated glow. You darlings, know I live for clean beauty and Caudalie’s Vinoperfect Brightening Moisturizer with Niacinamide has the Clean at Sephora seal with 97% natural ingredients. I feel great knowing that it has all the good stuff without the bad.
4) SunScreen: The final step of my skincare routine is always sunscreen. The sun is the number one aging factor for skin, so I am careful to protect my skin everyday. I promise you that preventing sun damage is a far easier path than trying to reverse the signs of sun damage later in life.
Skincare in my 40’s has taught me how to show myself love every day. Now more than ever I have learned to embrace and love my natural glow.